We are pleased to announce the launch of SALSA Plus Beer a Brewery Accreditation Scheme for regional and local breweries to demonstrate to buyers their commitment to quality, consistency and legality.
The development of the scheme has taken over two years and trials have been undertaken with Wye Valley, Titanic, Sambrooks and more recently with Meantime, Langham, Windsor Castle and West Berkshire Breweries. We have also called on the learnings from Mitchells and Butlers audits of over 40 breweries.
On the Steering Group for the scheme, we had Mitchells & Butler representing the on trade and Waitrose representing the off trade. SIBA has been very supportive of this programme.
Cask Marque chose SALSA to be the accreditation body due to their experience and knowledge of running similar schemes for the smaller food producers.
Benefits to the industry include:
- The industry has one nationally recognised accreditation scheme for medium to small breweries recognised by retailers. This accreditation will then be accepted by retailers.
- It is focussed on small to medium sized breweries and is tailor made for their requirements unlike the more widely known BRC scheme.
- The assessors are highly qualified and understand fully the brewing process.
- The scheme is under the SALSA umbrella which already has credibility in the retail sector.
- A brewer with the accreditation will have simple access to market as they have proved their product is of quality.
- There will be significant commercial benefits to those breweries with the accreditation as it is a quality mark.
- The scheme offers a mentoring service to support brewers to gain the accreditation.
This new development is part of Cask Marques Grain to Glass initiative to improve quality which covers Breweries, Supply Chain Management and Cellars and of course Beer in the Glass.
Do contact either Sally Ball at SALSA on 01295 724248 or Paul Nunny on 01206 752212 if you need any further information. SALSA plus BEER