The qualification developed to help candidates ensure that their beer is consistently served in an optimum condition. It aims to increase sales and decrease wastage.
A one-day course which delivers an understanding of how to handle and maintain quality of cask and keg beer from delivery to serve. This course is a mix of classroom based learning, practical assessments and interactive exercises. A brewery tour is included on the day.
The BIIAB ABCQ can be used as a stand-alone qualification or as part of an induction programme. The Award is aimed at businesses and candidates required to handle and care for cask and/or keg beers – as well as anyone required to maintain a safe and hygienic cellar
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the course?
• The Award in Beer & Cellar Quality
• A one day course delivered by a team of experienced Cask Marque trainers
• Practical assessments throughout the day followed by a multiple choice test
• Content devised by industry experts
• Designed to ensure all beer is consistently served in perfect condition.
Why would I want to take the course?
• To help increase sales of beer
• To decrease beer wastage
• To improve your beer handling skills
Who is it for?
• Experienced and novice licensees
• All staff involved in beer handling
• As part of an induction programme for new staff
I’ve been in the industry for years. Why would I need a cellar management course?
Dispense equipment has changed a lot in the last few years. This course brings you the most up to date knowledge and information to help you improve your skills and increase your profitability.
I don’t stock cask ale – is this course suitable for me?
Yes – the course is about total beer quality, both cask and keg beers
What do I get?
• On passing the test delegates receive the Certificate in Award in Beer and Cellar Quality
• A full colour training and reference manual
What is the pass rate for the test?
Delegates require a minimum of 23 correct answers out of 30 questions
Is the test marked by the trainer?
No. The papers are marked independently by the BIIAB
Where do you train?
- Black Sheep Brewery, Masham, North Yorks
- Caledonian Brewing Company, Edinburgh
- Fullers Brewery, Chiswick, London
- Greene King, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
- Marston's Brewery, Burton on Trent, Staffs
- Palmers Brewery, Bridport, Dorset
- Robinsons Brewery, Stockport
- Thwaites Brewery, Blackburn, Lancs
- Wadworth & Co, Devizes, Wiltshire
- Wells and Youngs, Bedford
How do I book on a course?
Book your place online or give us a call on 01206 752212
What does it cost?
• Full day course per delegate: £80 + Cost of exam (£16.50) = £96.50 + VAT
• Rent a trainer - Full day course: £575 + Cost of Manuals (£10 per person) + Cost of Exam (£16.50 per person) + VAT. If you want us to invite, chase up and send out certificates to the delegates there is a £50 charge. There is a £50 supplement per course for non Cask Marque corporate members.
"It was a well structured course, received lots of information which will help me improve my work performance"
Simone Rapisarda, Horse and Groom
"I found the Trainer Excellent and kept my attention throughout and it was all explained brilliantly"
Annmarie McGlynn, Psalter, Sheffield