About our Cellar Management Course
Increase sales and decrease wastage by attending a one-day course, which delivers an understanding of how to handle and maintain quality of cask and keg beer from delivery to serve. This course is a mix of classroom based learning, practical assessments, and interactive exercises.
The BIIAB Award in Beer & Cellar Quality (ABCQ) is a recognised qualification by the industry, demonstrating the candidates’ ability to handle and care for cask and keg beers, as well as maintain a safe and hygienic cellar.
Courses are run in breweries across the UK: the South East (London), South West (Dorset and North Somerset), Midlands (Burton-on-Trent), North East (Masham), and North West (Stockport).
Cask Marque training courses are a mix of classroom based learning, practical assessments and interactive exercises and cover the following areas.Introduction to Profit Through Quality
- The importance of beer to your business
- How poor quality beer can affect profit and impact on yield
- The main characteristics of each type of draught product
- How beer is made
- The key differences between cask and keg
- Managing a beer cellar effectively
- Hygiene, Temperature & Stock Control
- Conditioning cask ale from delivery to serve
- Keg Dispense Systems
- Line cleaning procedures
- Glass washing and glass care
- Dispense – serving the Perfect Pint
Learners are assessed with a 30 question multiple choice test. The pass mark is 23 out of 30. On passing the test, learners will receive the ABCQ certificate and a Level 2 qualification accredited by the British Institute of Innkeeping.
View the below training event locations and dates, then book a course
Phone us on
01206 752212 to book or with questions
Book A Course Below
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the course?
- The Award in Beer & Cellar Quality
- A one day course delivered by a team of experienced Cask Marque trainers
- Practical assessments throughout the day followed by a multiple choice test
- Content devised by industry experts
- Designed to ensure all beer is consistently served in perfect condition.
Why would I want to take the course?
- To help increase sales of beer
- To decrease beer wastage
- To improve your beer handling skills
Who is it for?
- Experienced and novice licensees
- All staff involved in beer handling
- As part of an induction programme for new staff
I’ve been in the industry for years. Why would I need a cellar management course?
I don’t stock cask ale – is this course suitable for me?
What qualification do I get?
- On passing the test delegates receive the Certificate in Award in Beer and Cellar Quality
- A full colour training and reference manual is provided during the training
What is the pass mark for the test?
Delegates require a minimum of 23 correct answers out of 30 questions
Where do you train?
- Fuller’s Griffin Brewery, London
- Minchinhampton Cotswold Club, Stroud, Gloucestershire
- Palmers Brewery, Bridport, Dorset
- Punch Academy, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- Robinsons Brewery, Stockport
- Theakson White Bear, Masham, North Yorkshire
What does it cost?
- Full day course per delegate: £125 + VAT = £150
- Rent a Trainer: Full day course: £650 + Cost of Manuals (£10 per person) + Cost of Exam (£16.50 per person) + VAT. If you want us to invite, chase up and send out certificates to the delegates, there is a £50 charge. There is a £50 supplement per course for non-corporate members.