About our Cellar Management Course
Increase sales and decrease wastage by attending a one-day course which delivers an understanding of how to handle and maintain quality of cask and keg beer from delivery to serve. This course is a mix of classroom based learning, practical assessments and interactive exercises. A brewery tour is included on the day at most of our venues.
The BIIAB Award in Beer & Cellar Quality (ABCQ) is a recognised qualification by the industry demonstrating the candidates’ ability to handle and care for cask and/or keg beers – as well maintain a safe and hygienic cellar.
Courses are run in breweries across the UK in: South East (London), South West (Bridport and Bristol), Midlands (Burton on Trent), North East (Masham), North West (Stockport and Blackburn), Scotland (Edinburgh).
Cask Marque training courses are a mix of classroom based learning, practical assessments and interactive exercises and cover the following areas.Introduction to Profit Through Quality
- The importance of beer to your business
- How poor quality beer can affect profit and impact on yield
- The main characteristics of each type of draught product
- How beer is made
- The key differences between cask and keg
- Managing a beer cellar effectively
- Hygiene, Temperature & Stock Control
- Conditioning cask ale from delivery to serve
- Keg Dispense Systems
- Line cleaning procedures
- Glass washing and glass care
- Dispense – serving the Perfect Pint
Learners are assessed with a 30 question multiple choice test. The pass mark is 23 out of 30. On passing the test, learners will receive the ABCQ certificate and a Level 2 qualification accredited by the British Institute of Innkeeping.
What should I do now?
View the below training event locations and dates, then book a course
Phone us on
01206 752212 to book or with questions
Book A Course Below
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the course?
- The Award in Beer & Cellar Quality
- A one day course delivered by a team of experienced Cask Marque trainers
- Practical assessments throughout the day followed by a multiple choice test
- Content devised by industry experts
- Designed to ensure all beer is consistently served in perfect condition.
Why would I want to take the course?
- To help increase sales of beer
- To decrease beer wastage
- To improve your beer handling skills
Who is it for?
- Experienced and novice licensees
- All staff involved in beer handling
- As part of an induction programme for new staff
I’ve been in the industry for years. Why would I need a cellar management course?
I don’t stock cask ale – is this course suitable for me?
What qualification do I get?
- On passing the test delegates receive the Certificate in Award in Beer and Cellar Quality
- A full colour training and reference manual is provided during the training
What is the pass rate for the test?
Where do you train?
- Black Sheep Brewery, Masham, North Yorks
- Caledonian Brewing Company, Edinburgh
- Fullers Brewery, Chiswick, London
- Greene King, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
- Marston’s Brewery, Burton on Trent, Staffs
- Palmers Brewery, Bridport, Dorset
- Robinsons Brewery, Stockport
- Thwaites Brewery, Blackburn, Lancs
- Wadworth & Co, Devizes, Wiltshire
What does it cost?
- Full day course per delegate: £83 + Cost of exam (£16.50) = £99.50 + VAT = £119.40
- Rent a trainer – Full day course: £650 + Cost of Manuals (£10 per person) + Cost of Exam (£16.50 per person) + VAT. If you want us to invite, chase up and send out certificates to the delegates there is a £50 charge. There is a £50 supplement per course for non Cask Marque corporate members.
What should I do now?
- View venues & dates at top of page to book onto a course online
- Email us to ask any questions email@example.com
- Phone us on 01206 752212 to book or with questions